Favorite Quotes

The written word is all that stands between memory and oblivion. Without books as our anchors, we are cast adrift, neither teaching nor learning. They are windows on the past, mirrors on the present, and prisms reflecting all possible futures. Books are lighthouses erected in the dark sea of time.

--Robbins, Blind soldier in the TV show Gargoyles




Sunday, January 9, 2011

Kid Stuff

Okay, I’m writing this post now because I’ve got writer’s block with my novel. So here goes: A few months ago my grandpa gave me a bag full of papers. The papers that Grandma had kept for years-- report cards, pictures I drew at school, mother’s day poems . . . etc. I sat at the kitchen table with my sister Lori and started looking through them. I picked up the autobiography that I wrote in fifth grade.
I’ve forgotten how long the biography was supposed to be, or how many pages the other students wrote—but I had NINE. NINE pages full of details about my ten year old life.
I started reading it out loud to my sister, Lori. I couldn’t believe how good it was! After teaching seventh graders for two years, I’ve found that only a few students write consistently in complete sentences. Only a few connect their sentences in a way that helps them flow together. Only a few actually have a sense for what writing should sound like. And here I was, reading a fifth grade autobiography that would have sounded beautiful coming from a seventh grader! I was shocked. I wrote in complete sentences. I even used all of my apostrophes correctly. Every sentence had a period. Every word was spelled correctly. I even used specific details and started my sentences in different ways. Holy COW, I was a wonderful writer as early as fifth grade! I had no clue that I was that good. No wonder my ninth grade English teacher yelled at me for not signing up for the honors English class. Wow.
I thought writing was something I had developed more as a teenager and in college. But this old elementary assignment showed me that writing was a talent I’d had forever. It’s something that has always been with me.
I wonder if my writing talent was something I had in the preexistence. How much of my personality comes from my spiritual identity? I don’t think these kinds of things pop out of nowhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment