Favorite Quotes

The written word is all that stands between memory and oblivion. Without books as our anchors, we are cast adrift, neither teaching nor learning. They are windows on the past, mirrors on the present, and prisms reflecting all possible futures. Books are lighthouses erected in the dark sea of time.

--Robbins, Blind soldier in the TV show Gargoyles




Thursday, July 1, 2010

Arguing with the World

Lately, I’ve been thinking that it would be really cool to go to film school. I love movies, and would love to create them. But I worry that when in a film class, I will be subjected to material that I would never watch by choice. Material that is far below my standards and that will destroy my efforts to stay clean. I’ve wondered how I would explain my position to my professors, what words I would use to beg them to let me watch something else. This is an imagined conversation with a professor who can’t understand why I don’t want to watch a movie with sex scenes or that has demeaning sexual innuendo:
Sir, in my religion we are taught that physical intimacy between husband and wife is incredibly sacred. It is God’s way of gifting us with his own power of creation. Think of it! We believe that God created the heavens and the earth and he has given us that same power in our children. The power to give life, and to raise his sons and daughters as righteous members of his kingdom.
Because creation is such a powerful gift, God has commanded that we use it responsibly and with great care. In my religion, we are taught that physical intimacy must only happen between two people bonded as husband and wife. We are to practice complete abstinence before marriage, and complete fidelity afterwards.
If the power to give life is misused, it will have terrible consequences and is a mockery of God’s gift.
Sir, considering all these things I have been taught, how can I go and watch a sitcom where sex is treated like a cheap rag, something to be thrown around to satisfy desires, simply a way to get what you want. It astonishes me how sex is now as cheap as a penny, almost worthless. How can I treat physical intimacy as a sacred thing when the whole world screams at me to use it for personal gain and self indulgence?
No. I will not stand for this. I am a child of God, with a divine destiny and a divine heritage. God has seen fit to give me the gift of life and the gift of a physical body. I am precious in his sight, and I will treat myself as such. My body is not something to be thrown around to satisfy vile pleasures. I am more than that, a precious daughter who has a right to the full blessings of heaven if I but follow God’s commandments. I respect his will and his love by promising to use his gifts correctly.
So you tell me—how can I possibly watch something so demeaning to my divine identity? Something that tells me I am worth no more than my carnal pleasures, that I am nothing more than an animal. How can I watch Television shows that constantly tell me that bodies are cheap, that my life is nothing more than a quest to satisfy my sensual desires?
I say NO. I am more than that. I am of noble birth, and I refuse to fill my head with such despicable lies. I promise to watch worthy, uplifting entertainment that reminds me who I am, that encourages me to be good, that tells me I am worth something.
No sir, I will not watch such things.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. Being a girl in this day and age is harder than ever--but it's good to know you have that knowledge that so many don't. You are a good anchor. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete